Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Vitamins

 
Our poor children have a mother like me. I worry about everything from education, to the foods they eat or refuse to. And at dinner they get vitamins. I've read articles that children that can't afford vitamins are usually the ones that need them the most... while those that can usually don't need them at all. I figure if mommy and daddy take their vitamins why not the kids too!
 
I still think that as an obese nation that we've become too involved in other's lives than to focus on ourselves. I have never done portion control, or refused to feed my children. We do simple things, such as "no soda unless eating out" (restaurant). But little things like that are more to avoid dental bills than to make them feel deprived. When I was growing up I wasn't allowed certain things, which only made me over indulge as an adult. I'm hoping to avoid by limits not denying. The kids are also taught the difference between healthy foods and naughty foods.
 
I did recently learn and pick up a new trick. We've all likely heard about how cinnamon is a twisted little spice. It is mainly used in desserts but helps to prevent sugar spikes and insulin issues. Well, I was listening to the news as I was getting the boys ready for school when a parent shared how they have their child eat a protein before sweets. It is supposed to cause them to eat less sweets and bring down the craving (can't eat just one theory). I know I heard Dr. Oz saying to allow yourself a small bite of the craving/sweet with a glass of water to trick the brain and fill up so you don't over do it.
 
However... with children I don't think these are burdens they don't need on their shoulders. My children have no business counting calories, or feeling like they are fat! We teach them that they must eat healthy and that naughty foods are a treat not a meal. I only recently added in purple grape juice because it is supposed to have the same positive health effects as a glass of wine. Normally we side step juices for actual fruit.
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment