Friday, August 23, 2013

School Lunches & Snacks



I would like to first state that it is extremely hard to get a good source for ideas. I might come across a site that give a peanut butter sauce mixed with soy to make a tortilla wrap but nothing that my kids will actually eat. School lunches can become redundant and hard to keep healthy.



Family.Go (Disney)

I try to come up with things other than a sandwich to place in their lunch! My all time favorite is my banana nut muffins. I use coconut oil, ground flaxseed, and extra ground walnuts to give them a healthy boost. I learned from a grandmother that ground flaxseed can be added to any baked goods.


* Grapes (berries like blueberries, raspberries, etc too)

* Baby Carrots

* Fig Newtons (various flavors and fiber)

* Celery with peanut butter

* Pretzels with peanut butter dip on side

* Tortilla Wraps (from peanut butter and jelly to lunch meats)

* Burritos (from ground beef to guacamole and grilled chicken)

* Gogurts (freeze and go)

* sliced fruits (apple, pear, etc)

* DYI Parfait (add things on side in baggies)

* Granola bars

* Dried fruits

* Trail Mix

* Lil' Smokies and Crescent rolls (or mummy hotdogs in October)

* Popcorn sprinkled with Parmesan cheese

Than there are the fall backs you can pack in a thermos container in winter months. Like roasted chicken left overs from the night before with veggies. The classics from the crockpot cooking, soups, but I stay away from pasta since it goes soggy. Than the fact that we have picky eaters that need different thing in their lunches. One child won't eat lunch meat while the other won't eat anything with tomato sauce. One kid like the pouch drinks and the other insists on having the box drinks. I have found that I can get the Super-V in pouches and V8 Fusion in boxes to give an added boost to an other wise processed lunch.

Than Storage ideas...



No comments:

Post a Comment