Saturday, November 16, 2013

Laptops 4 Children

This is a subject that has me conflicted. We're going to be purchasing laptops for the boys this holiday season. I love that they will have more space compared to their tablets. Not to mention the fact they can buy and download (CDRom) games. The only thing they can't do on a laptop are those apps they seem to be addicted to. They can however play the PC version of MineCraft (really popular among peers). Although the newest version of windows (like on hubby's computer) allows them to do those versions (Microsoft only).


As much as I wish it would be used for school, the fact is they will probably use them for gaming. They have a normal computer, which isn't used as much as their tablets (they crave new apps).  And by the time they actually need a computer for school these will be obsolete. But on a positive note they can design the outer casing with those sticker deals. I've seen them sold specifically for laptops at Fry's and WalMart.


.~*~._ .~*~._ .~*~.






CafePress to either buy others designs or create your own


.~*~._ .~*~._ .~*~.


Recently while I was volunteering in my son's class I overheard a conversation. A little girl was saying how she wants an IPod for Christmas, and before I even finished my thought process... I kind of blurted out "How sad is that". I didn't mean it to be disrespectful. I'd just earlier in the day been talking with another person about the differences in generations. How we as parents will drive to different stores to find the one item the child desires. When we were kids you would get the thing you wanted if it happened to be at the store your parents were going to. And the generation after mine lacked taking personal responsibility for their actions. It just makes me wonder with the current generation that is developing what adverse affects it will have. Will it be a lack of self control like those that were teens of the 1970s and adults of the 1980s? But knowledge means I can take appropriate steps in a positive direction.


Later the same night I was talking with my husband (and mentioned I felt bad, even though no one was paying attention much less heard me). He asked how old I was when I'd gotten certain game systems. My husband explained that when we were children we might have had the same things as our children if the technology was what it is today (hypothetically). I disagree because each generation of parents seems to spoil their children more than the previous. And now we have schools like where our children attend that have multi-generations helicopter parenting children/grandchildren. And our eldest son has taught us the dangers first hand of being overly involved and not allowing them to learn from mistakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment